Note de ce sujet :
  • Moyenne : 0 (0 vote(s))

Trouvé sur FB - engl. Supertramp Favorite Records

J'ai trouvé un article très intéressant sur FB (de 1983) - je le partage pour ceux qui n'y sont pas..mais c'est en anglais - J'ai pas pu m'empêcher de me réjouir du Dark side of the moon (yep) et de Genesis dans le choix de Roger (pour les beatles on avait les mêmes albums) Jimi hendrix c'est super aussi Sourire Sourire et j'adore le choix des classiques de John, choix de Rick aurait plu à mon papa (je retrouve ses albums préférés)..

Supertramp's Favorite Records - les albums préférés de Supertramp..
:

This Piece, written by Editor and Publisher Mike Farrace of Pulse! appeared in the premiere issue in March of 1983, and used to be the free Magazine that you could grab at your local Tower Records store (R.I.P.) The article is the ONE that started the desert Island Disc's where people wrote in, and told of the ten LP's that they would keep if ever stranded on a desert Island.

This article is dedicated to all that has ever worked at Tower Records, where I had bought records since December of 1974!

SUPERTRAMP'S

FAVORITE RECORDS

Reprinted by Kind Permission of Mike Farrace

After Mike left Tower Records he founded OptikRock, a company that specializes in selling music memoralbilia.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.optikrock.com/">http://www.optikrock.com/</a><!-- m -->

From the very first issue of Tower Records Pulse!

March of 1983.

Supertramp specializes in creating "crazy little songs that make you feel good." One needs only to look back over the last decade to such classics as "Bloody Well Right" and "Dreamer" from Crime Of The Century; Give A Little Bit" and "Even In The Quietest Moments" from Even In The Quietest Moments; "The Logical Song," "Goodbye Stranger," "Breakfast In America" and "Take The Long Way Home" from the enormously successful Breakfast In America, to appreciate the mass acceptance this band has received. And they show no signs of flagging. Their most recent record, Famous Last Words, has popped two Top 40 singles already, "Crazy" and "It's Raining Again," with AOR radio working a half dozen cuts.

Supertramp has graced the airwaves of many radio formats, embraced by AOR, Top 40, and Adult Contemporary. On a typical day on a beautiful music station you'll hear another half dozen Supertramp standards arranged with 100 violins and as many french horns.

And the band has reached the pinnacle of popular music success without the benefits of a flashy lead singer or a monster guitar player. The two songwriters, Roger Hodgson and Rick Davies, are practically invisible during live shows, with saxophonist John Helliwell acting as front man, and therefore being the "recognized one."

Actually, though Hodgson and Davies share writing credit on all the songs, a close listen reveals two, distinctly different kinds of songwriting. In the case of Famous Last Words, the latest record from the band, the two alternate numbers on the disc, with Hodgson's "Crazy" opening side one.

Davies' tunes are more pragmatic, more skin and bone, while Hodgson's compositions tend to be more delicate, inspiring, carefully crafted personal statements. Listen to the records. You'll soon be able to pick out who wrote what. And although the two are quite different both musically and lyrically, their songs compliment each other in the context of an album with graceful thrusts and parries.

Famous Last Words, recorded on Chromium Dioxide tape with no increase in price, is patented Supertramp – impeccable production; tastefully humorous. And it's selling well, well past gold and close to platinum status.

We talked to John Helliwell and bassist Dougie Thomson. Hodgson is three weeks into a solo album (no estimate yet on it's release date), while drummer Bob Siebenberg is just finishing his own solo effort. All the band members gave their lists of "favorite albums of all time," with Davies mentioning the ABC band, U2 and Wynton Marsallis among his current favorites. Siebenberg likes the police and some Pretenders, Helliwell likes the new Kate Bush record, and they all like Phil Collins.

It is clear, though, that a majority of all time favorites are ten years old or more. Perhaps not so coincidentally, these years were the ones just preceding Supertramp's foray's into the popular music scene, and also a fruitful era for English rock.

"Well," Thomson said, it was the aftermath of the Beatles years, the late sixties and early seventies. I guess they called it progressive rock. There was lots going on in England. Genesis was just starting out, Traffic, Procol Harum, Spooky Tooth. We really didn't get exposed to American music much then, except for R&B, which was just beginning to tail off at about that time. We had a little of the Beach Boys and the Byrds, but we didn't get exposed to the San Francisco scene or the west coast stuff much.

It was also hard to get records from the U.S. The record stores were not like today's glorified record stores. Then it was a shop with the sheet music, guitar things, recorders, picks, and and little pidgeon holes on the wall for singles. There may have been five happening singles. If you wanted an album, you had to order it. My little record shop was "The Music House" in a small village called Abbington."

"Mine was in a small town in Yorkshire," Helliwell added. "And when I started to collect an album or two, they'd mostly be imported from the states. They had little stamps on them, little record duty stamps. I used to get a lot of Bluenote albums, and since there wasn't a distributor in England, they were all imported. Some good stuff there; great stuff.

Dougie Thomson had a friend that got him into records. "That was really hip then, really hip to buy records from the states. I was in school with a guy who was a drummer in a band, and everybody was into playing Motown and Stax and that kind of stuff. This guy, Larry, would be into the really obscure stuff that wasn't being mainstreamed there. We'd ask about a record, and he'd say "hey, I've got it on order. It should be here next week." He opened me up to all those sorts of things."

Radio in England was also quite different. When Helliwell looked over the other lists of favorite records, it brought to mind one of his favorite BBC radio shows.

"I love half of the songs here that the other fellows picked. We have a program in England called 'Desert Island Discs.' It's one of the longest running shows in the history of BBC. And every week, the same guy who's been doing it for forty years interviews celebrity personality, not necessarily musical, and asks them which ten records they would like to take to a desert island, and they talk about them. They don't often have pop musicians; they have people from all walks of life – like politicians, entertainers, etc."

Thomson suggested "Desert Island Discs" for Pulse! How about it? Send us your ten discs you'd take on a desert island and we'll print them!

While on the subject of radio, both Helliwell and Thomson had strong opinions about pop radio in the U.S.

"I would just like to see it a little less restricted, Thomson said. "I find that, well, in L.A. you listen to a lot of music when you live here doing what we do here. But going to other places, I can listen to one channel, one station, and get a broader spectrum of what's around, which I enjoy and much prefer. DJ's can then slip in off the wall things, you know? Like classical music, for example. A little classical music would be great , and make a station much more interesting to listen to. There just has to be more varied content on each station."

Helliwell recently did some radio interviews, and was surprised to find how tight playlists are. "I was in Milwaukee," he remembers, a big radio station, and the D.J. asked me about records. I asked him to play a cut from the new Donald Fagen. He said 'No, I can't play it.' He couldn't play Donald Fagen, and he could only play one of the Steely Dan albums. It was just so fixed. And he said that if he played anything that wasn't on the list he'd get automatically fired. I don't know if most people realize that's how it is. He just couldn't do it.

"Did you see the thing in the newspaper this morning about the new whiz kid? (referring to an LA Times piece on radio consultant Rick Carroll, who's programming 'new music' and started with KROQ in LA) I don't know how strict they are, but he probably tells them what to play, and if they don't play that they get fired."

"Actually," Thomson said, "when I'm in Los Angeles I tend to listen to news, although I do a lot of flipping through. I'll listen to KROQ at certain times of the day, or I'll go to an easy listening station just for a change. Maybe I'll be flipping through and hear something I like, so I'll stick with a station for half an hour."

"I listen to the jazz station KKGO," Helliwell said, "I also listen to the public station in Santa Monica and KFAC, the classical station.

I like, I think it's KFAC AM, 1330 or something, that has a show called 'Cynics Choice' – Lots of British comedy – The Goons, Beyond the Fringe, stuff like that."

They both like comedy. Thomson likes Richard Pryor. "I also like Billy Connors, the biggest selling comedian in Britian. Of course he's totally uncomprehendable outside of Scotland. I like the National Lampoon and Bill Cosby as well, though Cosby's a little cheeky."

Helliwell likes "The Goon Show; Peter Sellers., of course; lots of BBC stuff that's not released over here; and David Frye and Stan Frieberg. And I like Cheech and Chong, actually."

Actually Cheech and Chong movies brought us around to the whole idea of video and what can be done with it. The newest Supertramp video, "It's Raining Again," is a miniature drama.

It's corny," Helliwell remarked. It's Frank Capra! It's light. It fits the song. Actually, it was Russell's (Russell Mulcahey, rock video wunderkind) idea. We had no idea of what we were going to do. We had, between us, spent untold hours and hours watching other people's videos. And most of them were bands playing. But there were a few that really had something. They had something of themselves in them. Mulcahey interested us. He had done a thing for Ultravox for their song, 'Vienna'. It was Spooky."

"He came along," Thomson said, "and said he had an idea for a Capra-esque movie – you know, 'boy loses girl, sad story, bada bada badah…'and we said 'take it away!' "

"It was amazing," Helliwell remembered. "In two days we had the script. The next week, we spent three days filming it, and he spent one day editing it. It was all done in a week."

Supertramp is getting ready to go into the studio for their next video, and it will be quite a departure. "We're going to do something like the Alan Freed show," Thomson told me. "We'll be playing both the band and the backup singers, and we're all going to cut our hair and shave our beards and everything, wearing uniforms, real corny."

We can hardly wait.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE ALBUMS

Roger Hodgson's Ten Favorite Albums Of All Time

1. White Album - The Beatles

2. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band - The Beatles

3. Abbey Road - The Beatles

4. Imagine - John Lennon

5. Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel

6. Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd

7. Who's Next - The Who

8. Selling England By The Pound - Genesis

9. Band On The Run - Paul McCartney

10. Axis: Bold As Love - Jimi Hendrix Experience

(Since this Survey) Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever and Anything by Enya

Rick Davies' Ten Favorite Albums Of All Time

1. Miles Ahead - Miles Davis

2. Focus -Stan Getz

3. Rubber Soul - The Beatles

4. Blues and the Abstract Truth

5. It's About Time - Joe Morello

6. Spooky Two - Spooky Tooth

7. Kind Of Blue - Miles Davis

8. Low Spark of High Heeled boys - Traffic

9. Good Times - Shakey Jake

10. In The Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson

ABC, U2, and Wynton Marsalis

John Helliwell's Ten Favorite Albums Of All Time

1. Handel's Messiah - Academy Of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood

2. Bach's Brandenburg Concertos - Chamber Orchestra of the SAAR, Karl Ristenpart

3. Mozart Great Mass In C Minor - Berlin Philharmonic, Herbert Von Karajan

4. The Jazz Messengers (1956) - Art Blakey, Horace Silver

5. Heavy Weather - Weather Report

6. Live - Donny Hathaway

7. There's No Place Like America Today - Curtis Mayfield

8. Somethin' Else - Cannonball Adderly & Miles Davis

9. Sonny Rollins & Contemporary Leaders - Sonny Rollins

10. Modern Jazz Classics - Art Pepper + 11

Bob Siebenberg's Ten Favorite Albums Of All Time

1. The Band - The Band

2. Music From The Big Pink - The Band

3. Mr. Fantasy - Traffic

4. Spooky Two - Spooky Tooth

5. With A Little Help From My Friends - Joe Cocker

6. Night Tripper - Dr. John

7. Gumbo - Dr. John

8. Bop Till You Drop - Ry Cooder

9. Steve Winwood - Steve Winwood

10. King of the Surf Guitar - Dick Dale and The Deltones

everything by Procol Harum

Dougie Thomson's Ten Favorite Albums Of All Time

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

2. White Album - The Beatles

3. John Barleycorn - Traffic

4. Mothers Live At The Fillmore - Frank Zappa

5. In The Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson

6. Bookends - Simon & Garfunkel

7. Stage Fright - The Band

8. Who's Next - The Who

9. Time Loves A Hero - Little Feat

10. Face Value - Phil Collins
Répondre

merci Mila pour cette trouvaille Confusuper: , je vais tenter de le traduire du mieux que je peux pour le lire. Merci bisous :kiss2:
Répondre

Merci Mila ... Très intéressant les choix ... C est là que l on voit que Roger est vraiment orienté Pop et Rick plus Jazz Blues
Répondre

cbell35 a écrit :Merci Mila ... Très intéressant les choix ... C est là que l on voit que Roger est vraiment orienté Pop et Rick plus Jazz Blues

Pas tout à fait Christian, Pink FLoyd, Genesis (surtout l'époque de Peter Gabriel), ou Jimi Hendrix ..ce n'est pas du Pop rock ...je pense qu'on voit bien le rock progressif ou le rock tout court dans la plupart des inspirations de Roger .. c'est à dire la musique bien plus recherchée..

Aussi restreindre Beatles à simple Pop rock me parait pas juste..

Même si Roger a certaines chansons Pop, pas toutes non plus.. en tout cas je parle du nom pop rock pour les anglophones ou tchèques, par exemple..

En France j'ai l'impression qu'on fait l'amalgame : que toute la musique rock à certaine époque est appelé Pop ... et je ne parle pas des années 80.. mais je peux avoir tout faux..
Répondre

Mila tu as raison .... il y a dans sa liste des choix de Rock Progressif avec Pink Floyd et Genesis (Epoque Gabriel) ... Je voulais dire que les choix de Rick sont plus Blues Jazz .
Répondre

Oui bien d'accord pour Rick - on l'entend bien dans sa musique Clin d’oeil
Répondre

Dingue !!!!!! Non seulement, je me "retrouve" plus par ce que compose ou créé Roger mais par ce qu'il s'inspire aussi, en toute modestie, bien sur......... Clin d’oeil

Sans Supertramp surtout avec Roger, la vie serait une erreur !!!!!!
Un jour sans écouter Roger, est un jour de perdu.....
Répondre

Atteindre :

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet : 1 visiteur(s)